We Will Not Be Silenced

Tuesday 16 January 2007

[Insert Advertising Banner Here]

"Today was a good day" - Ice Cube

And it was. The sky was blue with a scattering of clouds. The temperature was moderately warm. And the sun was shining. I left work today feeling like I had achieved something, that I had performed my duties well (I'll leave the whole concept of 'performing' alone for now, tempting as it is....). I shared an enjoyable meal with friends and chatted over a few beers. Over-all, a good day.

Tonight, TV was offering it's usual schedule of bland, pointless and mind-numbing drivel so I decided to venture into the world of the blogsphere. What an interesting a diverse place! I read a wide variety of entries spanning from politics, domestic life, parenting, spirituality, marketing, business, sport - the whole gambit of human interests really. There is something reassuring about witnessing people putting their lives, thoughts and feelings out there for the whole world to see. Sure, we may not all share the same thoughts and ideas or interests, but we all share the need to share. It's a shame people aren't as willing to share in real life as they are when they're sitting behind the safety of a monitor and keyboard. If people were willing to be as open, honest, up-front in person, maybe there'd be a decline in bullshit. Not that I can talk.... but I am working on it.

It's a shame that so many personal blogs out there have succumbed to e-advertising. Considering that most blog-hosts provide space free of advertising, banners and links at no charge, I fail to understand why people feel the need to add marketing tripe onto their personal pages. Sure, it's understandable when reading a marketing or business blog to have advertising - but why does a 64 year old retiree who is writing about his grandchildren put banners on his blog?

Now, before I get labelled a hypocrite, please note that the only external references on my pages link directly to free blog-related resources. If blogspot deems it essential that I place advertising on my page, I'll relocate my blog elsewhere. If the blog resources linked on my page advise that I have to insert an advertising banner, I'll leave their service.

I have no gripe with marketing or business blogs - it's the internet after all, a place where everyone and anyone can throw anything out there for all and sunder to look at. But why do individuals want to clutter up their own, personal space promoting random company x? Is it for the promise of a few measly dollars? Are your own thoughts, feelings, lives valued at such a small price? How would the 64 year old retiree feel about an "Enlarge your Penis" banner appearing above the picture of his 4 month old grand-daughter?

My life is not a billboard. My thoughts are not for sale.


Songs played while writing this entry:
"The Real Thing" Pearl Jam & Cypress Hill
"Jeremy" Pearl Jam
"Deliverance" K90
"Frontier Psychiatrist" The Avalanches
"The World has Turned and Left Me Here" Weezer
"It's a Long Way to the Top" AC/DC
"Children of the Revolution" Violent Femmes

No comments:

web counter Personal Blogs - Blog Top Sites Add to Technorati Favorites