We Will Not Be Silenced

Monday 29 January 2007

I Want My M-Tv

Last night I attended a street party hosted by M-Tv for the winner presentation of the one80 project. It was a good night - laid back atmosphere, free beer, good music, diverse crowd. To entertain the crowd, a couple of bands and a dj played before and after the official presentations. I was fortunate enough (?) to obtain a VIP pass which gave me access to the after-party where the band members and celeb judges got to hang out.

One of the bands which played was Temper Trap, a band I'd not heard of before but, I was told, are tagged as "the next big thing". I enjoyed the set they played, it was tight, fresh and pumpin. After taking advantage of the open bar at the after party, I settled down on a couch to chat with a friend. We were seated by the pool tables and were just contemplating racking up the balls when the guys from Temper Trap came across and claimed the table. No biggie - we hadn't laid any claim to the table but it turned out that table was missing a few balls. My friend and I offered assistance in locating the displaced balls and were ignored. A few attempts at good-natured conversation making later, it was apparent these newly discovered rock gods had no interest in associating themselves with us lower forms of being. Eventually, the high-priests of rock gave up on locating the balls and commenced playing with the few they had found. My friend and I, having identified ourselves as unworthy, continued our conversation on the couch but soon relocated after our heads survived a couple of very close encounters with pool queues. Most people playing pool in a crowded environment have the social etiquette to politely ask people to step aside when they are in the way of their next shot. It would seem that our rock god friends had no need for such politeness.

It surprises me that a group of young aussie blokes at the start of their fame career show such disdain towards others. Certainly, society unjustifiably allows celebrities to abide by their own rules and regulations - but these guys were total no-ones in the not-so-distant past. How long does it take for the ego trip of fame to remove humility, decency, courtesy? Why do the ordinary folk of this world idolise people who demonstrate such low, inconsiderate, self-centred behaviour?

Temper Trap huh? Me thinks they've entered a different sort of trap. Good luck to 'em.


Songs played while writing this entry:
"Shoot to Thrill" AC/DC
"Last Exit" Pearl Jam
"Could Have Lied" Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Blister in the Sun" Violent Femmes
"High Voltage" AC/DC
"Saturday Night" Cold Chisel
"Buddy Holly" Weezer
"New Years Day" U2
"Human Behaviour" Bjork

No comments:

web counter Personal Blogs - Blog Top Sites Add to Technorati Favorites