Tomorrow I'm writing my PDR (Professional Development Review). It's something I've done every 6 months for the past 5 years now with the company I'm in. It's a load of bullshit to be honest. The PDR process at my work consists of 3 steps:
- the faithful employee writing about how they have been able to demonstrate the skills which got them the job in the first place (objectives).
- the faithful employee writing about how they have been able to demonstrate the values which keep them from being fired (values).
- the faithful employee writing about how they plan on improving said skills and values should they manage to find an extra nano-second of time in their day (development plan).
For the past 2 years now I have been working without any firm, set objectives - that is, objectives set by my management. Now, while it is nice to have free reign to define and shape my role as I see best suited, this approach does not provide for defined boundaries. It also means that I stand a greater chance of getting a lower rating in my PDR based on the fact that I may not have met the unwritten objectives. Of course, what value is a rating? Unfortunately, this PDR does have a value as it stipulates the amount of bonus I'll get paid.
I can honestly say that I have never once accomplished anything that was listed in my development plan. Whilst the company goes to great expense in performing this bi-yearly gesture of feigned interest in their employees, once the PDR process is over there is little (if any) support provided to allow for growth to occur. Yes, it is a nice to pretend to be interested, but it'd be even nicer to see the company put their money where there mouth is and implement a structure which allows for development.
In this light, I have decided to approach my PDR differently this time round and will writing it as follows:
- Objective: Implement New Stuff
- Develop and implement new ideas for the greater good
- Help other people implement their new ideas
- Objective: Look After Existing Stuff
- Keep things running smoothly
- Assist other people who need help doing their job
- Objective: Fix Broken Stuff
- Identify broken stuff and fix it
- Fix stuff that someone else reports as being broken
Wish me luck!
Songs played while writing this entry:
"Zebra" John Butler Trio
"Totmacher" DJ Hell
"It's A Long Way To The Top" AC/DC
"Speak To Me" Regis
"Your Love Is..." Mati Parks
"First Contact" La Forge